Friday, April 13, 2018

Opening Day Stars #ODS-OR Orlando Arcia

The weekend begins now so that means it's time for an insert! I wasn't going to do the Opening Day Stars because I only pulled about half of the 44-card checklist in my full case. But they aren't too pricey so I might end up finishing the set through trades and the secondary market. Plus, I noticed a few players were represented as an insert but not as a base card, like today's card. Weird.


Player: Orlando Arcia (Baseball Reference) (Wikipedia)
Card Number: ODS-OR (Trading Card Database)

DENVER, CO - AUGUST 18: Milwaukee Brewers shortstop Orlando Arcia (3) throws to first during the Colorado Rockies game vs. the Milwaukee Brewers on August 18, 2017 at Coors Field in Denver, CO. (Photo by Kyle Emery/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Game Date: August 18, 2017
Opponent: Colorado Rockies
Stadium: Coors Field
Home/Away: Away
Game Outcome: Rockies 8, Brewers 4
Win/Loss: Loss
Player Game Line: 1-3, 1 HR, 1BB, 1 Run, 1 RBI
Photographer: Kyle Emery (Website)
New Team/Photoshopped?: No


The backs are kind of plain so I'm not showing the demographics typically included there.

Something I learned because of this card: Long ago, I was led to believe certain things about uniforms. The home team generally wore white (or pinstripes), while the road team wore something else in their team color palette. The home team had their team nickname or logo across their chest while the road team had their location spelled out. Baltimore. Los Angeles. Chicago. New York.

Color me confused then while researching this card, I found out the Brewers are oddballs. The road jersey featured on this card reads Brewers, instead of Milwaukee (see his OD card from last year below which features their blue road jersey).

Was I wrong in this assumption? Are there others? Has my whole idea behind what makes up a uniform been a lie?


Despite being left out of the OD base set this year, Arcia did have one in last year's Opening Day.


Not only that, but he was featured on a Future Stars card in Series 1 flagship AND had a photo variation. I've wondered who the unfortunate soul was that got booted out of the 200-card base set to fit in Shohei Ohtani. Could it have been Arcia?

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were any rules like those above on jersey's other than the home team usually wore white, shows you how much I don't research or ask about, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe more rule of thumb than hard rule? Not even sure where I learned it, more something ingrained over the years. I'll solicit Brewers fans on their oddball nature.

      Delete
  2. For a long time the Orioles wore "Orioles" on their home and road jerseys; I believe it was an attempt to be more of a regional franchise in the days before the Nationals came to DC. They currently wear "Baltimore" on the road unis.

    Conversely, the Marlins wear "MIAMI" home and road; only their orange alts say "MARLINS" and they've announced that they're not wearing those this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and the Phillies wear the team name on their road unis as well.

      Delete
  3. I love these little tidbits of informatio.

    ReplyDelete