Sunday, April 15, 2018

Stats!: Second Half Case Collation (and Overall...with Pictures!)

The case is open! Two weeks ago, I broke down the first half and this week I have the stats for the second half. 



The second half of the case yielded one extra insert compared to the first. Interestingly, it also yielded two more base cards. It took me a minute to realize that's because I pulled a relic in the first half, which left room for fewer "regular" sized cards. As I mentioned in the other recap, one guaranteed insert per pack yields 360 inserts, so an extra 66 is pretty good.

However, the collation was waaaay off compared to the first half.

Mascots is a 25 card set. Whereas I had at least three of all in the first half, I only had 1 Billy the Marlin, two Gapper and Phillie Phanatic. Conversely, I pulled 7 Wally the Green Monster and Orbit. Overall, I was only able to compile 5 complete Mascot sets despite pulling as many as 11 of some. 

Teams Traditions & Celebrations is a 15 card set. I pulled five of one, six of one, eight of two and seven of the rest. Overall, I was able to compile 12 complete TT&C sets while pulling 15 of two.

Before Opening Day is a 20 card set. Collation was really bad here. Despite getting four sets out of the first half, I was only able to add one more set by pulling only one more each of Buster Posey and Byron Buxton. I pulled as many as 10 and 11 of several players, including 6 and 7 in the second half.

Opening Day is a 20 card set. Three full sets in the first half but just two in this half. I fell two cards short of a third set here, too. However, combined with extras from the first half, I did get the six sets.

While every box in the first half yielded a complete base set, several in the second half had collation issues in base as well. Several dozen cards were limited to just 9 copies and I pulled 12 of many as well. Overall though, I fell just four cards short of 20 complete base sets..

Ok, you've slogged through the numbers, how about some scans of the hits?


As for the other inserts, I pulled one more National Anthem. Case average is 2.5 per and I pulled three total.


I nearly caught up on MLB Sticker Collection Stars by two pulling after being shut out in the first half. Odds were also about 2.5 per case.



I pulled another photo variation to give me two for the case, which are supposed to fall about 1.5 per case. Another Astro. Did they do something big recently?


I also pulled a second Stadium Signatures card, which fall at 1.25 per case odds.


I was shutout of relics this half (expected) but pulled the autograph (also expected). 


And while the original goal of the case was to pull a master set, it was honestly a little disappointing to be just four insert cards short of a sixth master set and 17 cards short of a seventh. Especially after really good collation from the first half. First world problems, I know.

Next week, I'm going to have something a little different and the week after I'll start doing a breakdown of the 200 card base set in one of the categories I'm tracking.

4 comments:

  1. Nice breakdown! I love the variety of the inserts in Opening Day and the fact that it's still possible to pull a relic, auto, or short print in an affordable product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few tweaks could make it perfect (a more equal team distribution, different design than flagship, etc.) but I'm a big fan of the product. It's surprising how some inserts hold their value (Stadium Signatures, National Anthem)compared to the autos and relics which can be had for essentially peanuts.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I'm actually very happy with the case, despite the slight disappointment at the end. Now I'll just try to red paper clip my way into some Cubs cards or maybe flip my way to next year's case. If I don't get burned out with this blog, I may continue it!

    ReplyDelete